John E. Matias

Human | Dad | Stoic | Founder | ๐Ÿ˜Š
๐Ÿ”ฎ
Founded two B2B companies online that focus on a niche segment of worker safety on the job. Using Webflow + MemberStack on one and Shopify on the other. Non-technical but fairly competent in no-code skills! Love my family, stoicism, all things geeky.
So I made a pretty dumb mistake and thought I should share it. Hopefully someone else can learn from my oversight. I've been working on my site this year and was able to successfully implement customer dashboards and a save/complete feature using Webflow + Memberstack + Integromat. Everything was going great until today.ย 

During an update of a page on the site I made a few small edits and accidentally ruined the set up and styling of the page. It wasn't a big deal I could have rebuilt it and just taken an extra half hour but I decided, "Oh, I'll just restore from my backup earlier today!" And did that.ย 

But I forgot a critically important detail. It is clearly explained on the Webflow site. Here it is:

Important: When you perform a restore, all CMS Collection and item IDs will refresh. This refresh will affect API calls and third-party connections that use Collection or item IDs. You will need to reconnect them to the refreshed items. Please make sure you want to perform this action.

What that means is that in doing the restore I completely broke all of my integrations. And jacked up my member's profiles due to a piece of information I was saving on them to help me accomplish a few other integrations.

๏ปฟ
๏ปฟ

Luckily, not a lot of my members have started using their profiles and save/complete features. But those that did will be impacted. I'll be on standby to try to own up to the mistake but I'm really hoping that they won't be too bothered by the issue.ย 

For me, I'm having to go through all of my Integromat scenarios and update them to catch the new CMS ID's. And I'm running manual scenarios to update all of the CMS items and memberstack profiles to get everything synced up again.ย 

Definitely not fun. Kicking myself for making that mistake. A moment of laziness is now costing me a whole lot of time and effort and just plain disappointment.ย 

Lesson learned. I'll do everything I can to never make that mistake. But I really do hope that if anyone reads this and has a similar implementation that you'll be aware of that warning.ย 

Important: When you perform a restore, all CMS Collection and item IDs will refresh. This refresh will affect API calls and third-party connections that use Collection or item IDs. You will need to reconnect them to the refreshed items. Please make sure you want to perform this action.

Hey John, man...I hope just writing this out made you feel a little better. It should. But I do know that it wouldn't undo the big mistake. One of the many times I wish life had a โŒ˜+Z function. It's such an easy mistake to make too! I know I've made it. You're not alone. Thanks for the dire warning for the rest!

Sucks that the IDs have to change though! Those backups can come in super handy.

Hope your recovery is swift and your pain minimal. Respect.
Oh no! Thank you for the info. I have about an hour free tomorrow. If I can help in any way please let me know. ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ’™

๏ปฟ
๏ปฟ
John E. Matias replied
  ·  1 reply
So apparently I'm turning into a fan-boy for the f'in sweet team and their offerings. But seriously, I'm very excited about the future plans that were announced today by Joe Krug and his team. If you haven't seen the video check it out here: finsweet-press-conference.webflow.io/

I'm particularly interested in the idea Joe mentioned about a course on JavaScript specifically for Webflow. As a non-technical founder/owner and boot strapping my way along I've had to teach myself several platforms and have dabbled with small snippets of code. I've often found that I'm just a few lines away from figuring out a way to accomplish a goal that I'd normally have to hire a developer to do for me. Not that I'm against hiring a dev but I need to keep the budget low so I'll only do that when I absolutely have to do it. So to have a course that is focused on my current platform of choice - Webflow could be extremely helpful to me.ย 

I'd love to hear if anyone else listened in today and what you think about the announcement and upcoming releases.ย 

ย 
Hey John, I missed it but I, too, have been contemplating learning javascript because I'm also a "do whatever it takes" kinda guy. So if the stuff I have to learn is presented to me in a way that makes it easy to learn the stuff I need fast, I'm in!

What other announcements were there?
John E. Matias replied
  ·  2 replies
Heyย  John E. Matias !! Amazing to read this. Thank you :)ย 

Consider temporarily working with a javascript developer to help you learn. Give the js dev work and then ask them how it works and why they did it like that. Doing this a few times is going to be like having a personal mentor for real use cases. Super valuable.

And of course..... our js course will be super valuable to give you a full understanding of how js works with Webflow.

Not sure if you know about this:ย https://memberstackapivisual.webflow.io/ย . Turn on the 'Comments in code' and you can get a light of insights by reading what each line is doing. This is like a computer version of the personal js mentor :)ย 
John E. Matias replied
  ·  1 reply
Happy Friday wherever you are! ๐Ÿค“

My name is John E. Matias, I'm based in Richardson, Texas - near Dallas. My fiancรฉ and I own a couple of businesses online, our core business is a membership site where we offer digital products to help companies keep their workers safe on the job and meet OSHA regulations. We're just a 2.5 person team right now and have been in business since 2016.ย 

I'm eager to connect with and learn from others that are leveraging everything that MemberStack has to offer. I'm very interested in seeing the creative ways other business owners, designers, and code or no-code developers are using Webflow + MemberStack to solve problems for their customers.ย 

I'm happy to have an opportunity to be a part of the MemberStack community and thankful for all the effort the team is putting into the platform and community support. I try to reply when I have the chance to posts where I've either got an idea, tip, or just a thought that could help someone on their quest to solve a problem or improve a situation. It's hard when you put yourself out there and all you get back is cricketsโ€ฆ so if I have a chance and can at least post a quick acknowledgement then I'll do that as I'd hope someone else would do that for me too!

Hey John!!!! You said 2.5 person team!? Tell me more about the .5 ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
John E. Matias replied
  ·  2 replies
Big, big shoutout to you John!! Can't even count the number of times you've been SO helpful to many people in the community across so many of our channels. It's people like you that are lifting up our team and the community of people building new things on the internet โ€” we can't thank you enough for your support! ๐Ÿ’™

John E. Matias replied
  ·  1 reply
Hey John! Thanks for hanging with us as we switched from Slack -> Discourse and now to Circle!